Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Syncing Droid ActiveSync
I just had the task off setting up a Droid to sync with ActiveSync on our 2003 Exchange Server running on our Windows 2003 SBS Server. I thought this would have been a piece of cake just like an Iphone is.......boy was I wrong. I researched all through the internet on, "Droid Exchange Authentication Failed" and came up with the usual troubleshooting steps, delete the account/recreate the account, use domain\username, don't append /exchange for the server address. I tried all of these and still was getting the same error. I even went as far as to delete the IIS exchange-oma virtual directory that gets created automatically in SBS 2003 and create a new one following a microsoft article, also restarted IIS many times, but same error. Then I starting reading that you need a different data plan from verizon but I didn't believe that so I kept digging. I went on the phone and made sure I could go into the browser and get to and login to the owa site, https://mail.whatever.com/exchange and of course the certificate error popped up like usual because it's a self signed cert, so I just hit continue and logged in fine. I then just took a look at the certificate properties and noticed that the certificate was for mailhost.whatever.com instead of mail.whatever.com, I checked and there is not any A records for mailhost, just mail.............so I thought, could this be what is causing the issue, I didn't think so because there is a box selected to accept all certificates but just for fun I opened up the SBS Management Console and clicked on the to do list and started to run the connect to internet wizard, after a few next buttons I came upon the web certificate, so I selected change and put in mail.whatever.com (to overwrite the mailhost cert) and finished the wizard, I then restarted IIS one more time, started the mail setup wizard on the Droid, for username I used just username (no domain\) for server address I put in mail.whatever.com and BAM it synced right up. So just because the certificate (self signed) was for a different name then the server address I was inputing on the phone it would not work. I hope this helps someone because I spent hours trying different things until I got it to work.